Wednesday, September 3, 2008

tire repair


My tire blew out this morning on my way to work at 6:55am. I walked my bike to the nearest bike shop which was Wasatch Touring on 1st S. and 7th E. The walk from where my tire had blown was about 8 blocks. I chose this store because it was on my way to downtown where I worked and that it might be open early. I got to the doors and realized that they didn't open for another 2 hours at 9am. So I tried mt best to replace the tube but because of the large gash through the tire it would be wasting a tube since it would blow soon afterI would replace it. I was set to head off when I noticed the shop owner through the window getting ready for the day. I knocked on the door and with a smile let me in the back. With surprising helpfulness for that early in the morning we repaired and assembled the new tire. I asked him why he was there so early and willing to help me. He responed by saying I own this place. I have never in my life had a dirrect link to why chains and bigbox retailers could never replace the small businnes owner untill now. the ways in which that man binded me to his store as a customer and as a part of my neighborhood was fanstastical. I felt as if this man had watched me grow up and was always there for the off chance I might be in need of a bicycle repair.

No comments: