Friday, September 19, 2008

rain rain go away


The surprise to me was my attitude. This morning was raining fairly heavy at times but unrelenting. Normally I love the rain and any other inclement weather condition, but today I looked at the rain from the perspective of transportation. I immediately thought that I would have to take my car to work. The problem with that would be when it came time to go to school and I would either have to pay for parking up at the U or risk getting a ticket. Biking as my main source of transit works well almost all the time as far as ease of use and convenience but today i just didn't want to be soaking wet and cold. Granted their are special clothing I could have worn but my poor college student persona has always prevented me from doing so. I ride all winter and am not unfamiliar with inclimate weather conditions its just when the rain is actually falling that makes the difference. Are people really sacrificing comfort and possibly their health when getting to transit in inclimate weather? Bus stops are hardly ever covered and I can see that the state has probably done a cost benefit analysis determining that the 300+ sunny days in Utah outweigh the infrastructure costs of covering all the bus stops. In the end though it made me ditch the bike for today!!

No comments: