Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fight Club Ideology

Having seen the movie Fight Club the plot becomes clear near the end that if you blowup all the credit card companies you reset the debt record back to zero. This, according to the movie, will cause a new world order and I quote, "the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." Is this the dream of every Urban planner at their core? I mean personally I've heard from more than one instructor that they wishes gas prices would keep going up in order for people to walk or ride a bike, and to make cities and town shrink for the rewards of sustainability. I just read an article that was talking about food prices and well I realized that to really be honest planners should just admit what they want...a progressive apocalypse.

No comments: