Sunday, September 7, 2008

street garbage day


All weekend the constant stream of pickup trucks screech to a halt over and over again at the sight of one mans trash becoming their treasure. My thoughts thoughs gravitate towards the number of piles in front of my house then to the multiple piles down my street then to the hundreds of piles on my block and then the thousands in my neighborhood. What would those thousands of piles multiplied by the average poundage of a single pile. Where on earth is all this going to go and is this one of the biggest days of the year for the sanitation department. What are the hirings like and is this the season unlike the seasonal help that they get for black friday in retail stores. What is the practice of recycling in this mess? What about the trees and organic waste, is that shredded for future compost use? Are there a series of trucks?

No comments: