Thursday, September 18, 2008

shared bike/car lanes



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4286822 I've been riding my bike around town and it seems as though there are more green lines than what they have listed in this report. Along 9th east from main to liberty park there are these green stripes separating in a bike lane fashion but more dangerous. I say dangerous because these lines are not eye popping like the thick white lines of traditional bike lanes. Motorists are definitely going to have a hard time viewing the lanes. The article goes on to paraphrase Ralph Becker as saying, "these shared car/bike lanes are for the smaller downtown streets where traditional bike lanes are not feasible." My question then is why are there stretches of these lanes in areas where there is obviously room enough for a bike lane? Not that that wouldn't be a step in the right direction but if it were to turn into something that would be viewed at as good enough I would disagree.

No comments: