Monday, August 25, 2008

salt city haze


The haze and glow of smog in LA and the particulate matter of a Salt Lake City inversion seem to be held at bay from being a daily occurrence by the lungs of bicyclists. In the short 5 minute bike ride from the University of Utah campus to downtown SLC I think I personally filtered a good 600 liters or air, according to Wikipedia. This wasn't just any air either, I cycled passed dozens of cars with tail-pipes. I have also heard that running outside for a half hour on a red air quality day is similar to the effects of getting a sun burn on the inside of your lungs. So I wonder if in a misconception of health, bikers are taking to the streets seeking increased health when in actuality they are just causing themselves harm. The scientific study is probably very complicated and sure to be ignored but really who's looking out for the air we breath? The EPA is really good at telling me what I'm inhaling but it doesn't make me feel any better. This is what I filtered for the rest of you today.
  • carbon monoxide,
  • ozone,
  • lead,
  • nitrogen dioxide,
  • particulate matter (also known as particle pollution), and
  • sulfur dioxide
Have a nice day.

No comments: